Eligibility and Entitlement Requirements for Veterans Benefits
For more detailed information about eligibility and entitlement requirements please click on the applicable subject below
- Who is Eligible for Veterans Benefits?
- What are the Requirements for Entitlement to Veterans Benefits?
- How do you Gather Evidence for a Claim for VA Benefits?
- How do you Correct a Bad Discharge?
Eligibility for veterans benefits requires a potential living or deceased applicant to meet the definition of a veteran. A veteran is an individual who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States and received a discharge other than dishonorable. Members of the guard or reserve are not considered veterans unless they were called up to active duty. Entitlement to specific benefits as a veteran or survivor is subject to numerous and sometimes complicated rules depending on the benefit.
Find Help in Your Area · Veterans Benefits · Resources · Contact Us
How to Apply for VA Benefits for Veterans and Their Survivors
This 2023 Edition provides detailed instructions on how to submit claims for benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs new intake center and uses the successful "Fully Developed Claim Process" for faster and better decisions. View the Book...
- About Accreditation & Fees
- Accreditation Study Materials
- CLE to Maintain VA Accreditation
- Correcting Your Military Discharge
- Find Home Care / Assisted Living
- Find Hospice Care
- Find Medical Alert
- Help finding a LTC Facility
- Help with Care Management
- Help with Elder Law
- Help with Estate Planning
- Help with Disputes / Mediation
- Help with Financial Planning
- Help with Medicaid Planning
- Help with Tax Planning
- Informal Claims / Effective Dates
- Service Connected Disabilities
- State VA Nursing Homes
- VA Aid and Attendance Benefit
- VA Burial Benefits
- VA Healthcare System
- VA Help - Surviving Spouse
- VA Home Renovation Grants
- VA Long Term Care Benefits
- VA Pays Family for Eldercare
- VA Regional Offices
This section provides downloadable files of the most commonly used VA Forms for senior veterans seeking benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. View the Forms...
Become a Member of the Senior Veterans Service Alliance
Become a member of the SVSA and help our organization support the needs of senior veterans who served their country in a time of need. Learn more about the benefits of membership.